Tooth-Colored Fillings – Marlton
Enjoy Metal-Free Dental Fillings
Despite even the best preventive efforts, tooth decay is common. In fact, at least 92% of adults have had at least one cavity in a permanent tooth. Traditionally, a cavity is treated using a metal filling. Although they are effective, they are very noticeable, and there is also the risk of mercury exposure. Now, you can enjoy a natural-looking and biocompatible option with tooth-colored fillings. Your dentist in Marlton, Dr. Petulla or Dr. Kazemi, can restore the health of your tooth while also improving its appearance.
What are Tooth-Colored Fillings Made From?
Amalgam fillings have been the go-to solution to treat tooth decay for decades. They are comprised of various metals, including mercury. This makes them durable and cost-effective, but they are not biocompatible. Not to mention, they have a dark appearance and they can make your tooth turn gray over time.
As an alternative, you can choose a tooth-colored filling, which is made from a mixture of fine glass and plastic particles. This makes it biocompatible while also resolving the common disadvantages of metal fillings.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings vs. Amalgam Fillings
Now, tooth-colored fillings are preferred treatment for cavities because of the various benefits they offer, including:
- Biocompatible: The dental fillings are completely metal-free. This is ideal for those who have a sensitivity to metals, and it also eliminates the risk of long-term mercury exposure. You will not need to worry about your tooth darkening over time.
- Looks Natural: You no longer need to worry about a filling causing an eyesore when you smile. The composite resin material is customized to match your enamel, so no one will know it is there.
- Improves Structure: Tooth-colored fillings do not require wedges to be cut in your tooth to support them. As a result, more of your tooth will remain intact to preserve its integrity.
- Long-Lasting: Although they are not made from metal, tooth-colored fillings can last for several years if your care for them properly.
How are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
After an initial consultation, you are scheduled for your procedure. If you have a metal filling currently in place, it is removed using special dental tools. If the cavity has not been treated previously, the areas of decay are removed before cleaning your tooth.
A weak acid is applied to the tooth to open the pores in the enamel and dentin. This allows there to be a secure bond between the resin and your tooth. A color guide is used to determine the ideal color for the filling before it is placed on your tooth and sculpted into the desired shape. A special light quickly hardens the filling to complete the procedure.
Caring for Your Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored dental fillings in Marlton can last for several years. It is best to:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least 2 minutes each session.
- Floss every night.
- Avoid chewing sticky or overly hard foods with the filling.
- Do not use your teeth as tools.
- Do not chew on inedible objects.
- Avoid stain-causing foods to prevent discoloration.
- Visit your dentist twice a year.
If you are ready to enjoy a natural-looking solution, contact our office today to schedule your consultation for tooth-colored fillings.